Friday, May 31, 2013

Jewels

It's been a long time since I've written in my blog. Don't know how it got away from me, but I'm going to try and keep up with it better now. There's so much to do in a day. I have a new horse now, and it's been almost a year since I bought her. An APHA registered mare, 9 years old last month. She's 14.1 hands tall, with a heart as big as Texas. Even with the weight I carry, she can pack me around all day and seemingly never tires. I named her Jewels. It sort of fits her personality.

When I first got her, she was spooky and unsocial, having been in a pasture with horses that picked on her, she became quite skittish to handle. It took me a few months to get her to settle in enough I could catch her without a problem. We spent many days in the round pen, teaching her to send and come to me. Now she's the first one out of the pasture to greet me. I began riding her consistently about 3 months ago. She's a bit to fast on her feet yet, but I've been working on the stop and go to slow her pace down. She's coming along quite nicely now.

No comments:

Post a Comment